[MPlayer-users] sound problems (envy24)

Nicolas DEVERGE ndeverge at zen.fr
Wed Dec 19 09:32:12 CET 2001

Le Mardi 18 Décembre 2001 18:18, Robert Voigt a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have mplayer 0.50 and I have sound problems with my Midiman Delta Dio
> 2496. It has an Envy24 chip.

I have the same chip on my Terratec EWS88MT.

> Some movies don't give sound at all, others
> don't have continuous sound through this card. I tried movies with
> extension avi, I don't know which codecs they contain. I'm sure it's a
> soundcard problem, because I have a Yamaha card too, which has no sound
> problems. But I really have to make the Midiman card work with MPlayer.

It would be very usefull if you could send us an output to see which codec is
used and other things.

> Btw, no other applications have trouble with this card. It's really just a
> problem between Mplayer and the card.
>
> I have alsa 0.9, and I tried -ao oss. Both oss and alsa were detected
> during configure.

I did not try Alsa 0.9 with MPlayer, but I know that the Envy24 chip is only
supported on latest Alsa release (a CVS release based on the 0.9beta9
version), so 0.9beta10 might work.

> The docs say
> OSS: ?
> OSS/Pro: OK
>
> So maybe I'm using OSS involuntarily when I should be using OSS/Pro, but I
> don't know how to select either one. If someone could tell me that may
> help.

I think you are using the OSS/Free version, because OSS/Pro are a commercial
version of sound drivers (and they work perfectly).

> Thank you
>
> Robert

Regards,
Nicolas