[MPlayer-users] firewalls needed :)

Gabucino gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu
Wed Dec 19 14:05:36 CET 2001

It's the Question that drives us, Roger Fujii :
> You know, of all the mail lists I've been involved with (kernel devel,
> emulators...), this list, for some reason, has a knack for generating
> stupid user that can't read".
You are right :) But it's written in the docs...

> The problem is a) the docs aren't clear.
Where? Send patch.

> b) It's organized extremely poorly
Where? Matter of taste.. Send patch.

> c) requires an ENORMOUS amount of technical knowledge just to understand the
a, it's worth it
b, you don't really have to understand, just follow "Installation" section

> (like settting up GUI - why isn't there a configuration section?)
A what? Where? How? Why?

> If you (the list) are going to answer questions like jerks, don't be
> surprised if people think that you are.
It's alright for me :)

> > > First, this ain't "university", this is the real world. A bad attitude
"The desert of the real" :)

> > My only suggestion and agreement with what you said is the automatic reply
> > from the mailbot. I think it should be changed to something more polite such
> > as:
I think it should be :

      Jerk MPlayer developers looking for nice girls. Call 1-800-MPlayboy

Well, change? :)

> I think that for the list "mplayer-USERS" (this is not by convention a
> devel list), if you can't say something constructive other than read the manual,
> and not be inflammatory in the process, you should just punt the question.
True, but Arpi just can't leave the list. It gives too much entertainment,
in days of heavy development :)

> It took me several shots, as things like "./configure --help
> " doesn't list
> all the parameters (like --enable-gui).  I know of *NO* other program that
Constant problem :( Nobody really updates the source's RTFM, only I, and
mostly only the DOCS.
Send patch. (to mplayer-dev-eng !)

> requires me to read the ENTIRE doc just to run configure.
You know: it's an agreement between other developers and me. Users can't
install unless they RTFM, so my efforts aren't in vain ;)

> That's perfectly acceptable.  A link is infinitely better/more polite/useful
> than RTFM.
Yes, but a real RingTFM profits more than reading a single link. (!)

--
Gabucino

Dominus Deus
exaudi nos et misrere