[MPlayer-users] vo=Xv and non-standard-resolution -> strange output

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Wed Dec 19 19:51:24 CET 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:43:14PM +0100, Marcel Hild wrote:
> Hi,
>  if rescale or crop an odivx clip from let's say 384x288 to 362x266
>  then i get a strange (diagonal shifted) output when using Xv, with
>  x11 it's no problem...
>
>  is this a bug or some restrictions in Xv?

It's a bug in Xv :-(. Unfortunately, my S3 driver is buggy as well, but low
resolutions play fast enough with the x11 driver. I'm finished with my exams
so I'm hell-bent implementing a scaling-capable fbdev driver (dunno how long
it takes).

BTW: Small, embedded PCs with IDE bus interfaces and 50/60Hz capable VGA
cards are getting cheaper and cheaper. Once TV-resolution scaling is
implemented in the fbdev driver (no X on embedded PCs!!!), from a dvd
reader, an embedded PC card and some minor electronics, one could build a
fully functional DVD player appliance that doesn't give a shit about area
codes (and get handcuffed at the first crossing of the US border). That
would be a nice christmas present to my parents, but christmas is too close.
Next time... :-)

Here's what's missing from mplayer for this purpose: soft-scaling on fbdev,
dvd-menus a la ogle, and some remote controlling features. I'm working on
the first one right now, the relevant code can be lifted from ogle for the
second one, and the third one is being worked on too, AFAIK.

Anyway, I can't wait until I visit my parents in Hungary and watch some DVDs
on a civilized, SCART-equipped TV via RGB. Parents in Europe rule! ;-)

Cheers,

--
Dan