[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder encoding time?

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Thu Dec 20 21:56:51 CET 2001

Dariusz Pietrzak <dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl> wrote:

> No metter how brilliant this formula is, ain't it wrong - first 5
> minutes of movie usually contains different style of scenes then the
> rest, thus both filesize and time of compression shouldn't be
> extrapolated using that.

Right. One would better use something in the middle of the movie to
encode.

> Or am I wrong and mencoder eats the same amount of time no metter how
> compilcated the scene is?

No. If I encode Ghost in the Shell, I get over 60fps in the first 30
seconds. This is because, there are only black frames with a logo
rotating and some text. If those 60fps would be constant throughout all
the movie, my CPU would have to run at about 6GHz ;) or the encoder is
better than expected ;)

But this rate drops to about 13fps after the real movie starts (still a
good rate, IMHO)

S°

--
BOFH excuse #219:

Recursivity.  Call back if it happens again.