[MPlayer-users] codecs.conf

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 26 17:58:50 CET 2001

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Joseph Campbell wrote:

> OK -
> 	This is silly but I couldn't find anywhere on the web page or in the
> downloaded files that said what format the codec.conf file was supposed to be
> in or even what I should put into that file.  Can someone drop me an example
> file in the mail to let me know what the format should be.

	I would be happy to explain the process. First, open up
codecs.conf with your favorite text editor. Then, examine the file for
awhile. Eventually, the format will become obvious...:)

	Seriously, it's pretty simple, though ad-hoc. True, it could
probably use a little bit of documentation which may or may note already
exist (I haven't checked). There are two types of codecs, videocodec and
audiocodec. Here's a videocodec:

videocodec video1
  info "Microsoft Video 1"
  status working
  fourcc cram,CRAM
  fourcc msvc,MSVC
  fourcc wham,WHAM
  driver msvidc
  out BGR32,BGR24

It's a videocodec names "video1". It's long name is "Microsoft Video 1",
and it is known to be working (as opposed to buggy or crashing). It is
identified by at least 6 FOURCCs. It is managed internally by the msvidc
driver. It can output pixel data in two formats, BGR32 and BGR24.
Sometimes, the codecs sometimes also specify a dll field to tell, say, the
Win32 and XAnim binary codec loader which DLL to use.

	The audiocodecs are pretty similar:

audiocodec divx
  info "DivX audio (WMA)"
  status working
  format 0x160
  format 0x161
  driver acm
  dll "divxa32.acm"
  cpuflags mmx

The audiocodecs are specified by format numbers rather than FOURCCs since
not all media files (notably AVIs) specify FOURCCs for audio formats.

	Starting to get the idea?
--
	-Mike Melanson