[MPlayer-users] mga_vid install doc

Robert Munro ramunro1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 27 17:06:12 CET 2001

Andras Salamon wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Jukka Tastula wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 23 December 2001 21:49, Anssi Saari wrote:
> >
> > > I suppose it would be nice, but is it correct? I guess RedHat
> > > and Debian at least use /lib/modules/uname -r/, but Robert
> > > Munro said Mandrake uses /lib/modules/video?  If it's going
> > > to be like this (different distros with different dirs), then
> > > maybe it's better make install doesn't copy it.
> >
> > I can't believe even mandrake to be THAT fucked up. How would
>
> I've Mandrake 8.1. It uses /lib/modules/uname -r/
>
> Sala

It seems to work anywhere in the /lib/modules... tree:

I had it in /lib/modules/video - it works

moved it to /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk ('uname -r') - it works

then /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/video/matrox - it works

and suspect /lib/modules would work just as well, but haven't tried.

If /lib/modules/('uname -r)/ works across distros, that seems fine.

Thanks!

Scripting all of the command-line hand tailoring so it works right
for the major distros would be a Good Thing for MPlayer to achieve.
The basic install doc could be reduced to a series of simple steps
(download components, check lib versions, run Install, then test).

Imagine reviews like:  "Linux video? Get MPlayer, easy to install."

Regards,
Robert Munro