[MPlayer-users] TV output cards

Paul Fleischer mlist at proguy.dk
Sun Dec 30 21:47:30 CET 2001

ons, 2001-12-26 kl. 13:11 skrev Michael Hunold:
> Hello Paul,
>
> Well, basically it's just the thing you need. I recently bought one of
> these -- here are my 2 cents about it.
>
> But beware that you can only have the dvd showing on your monitor if you
> use the loop-through cable -- the card does not do any real overlay
> video as a tv-card does. But with the loop-through cable, the signal
> quality really suffers...
>
> But I don't mind, since I only use the composite output of the card.
It will be the same here ;)

> - You need to know that the card is a hardware mpeg-decompressor, so it
> can only show mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 streams by default, ie. for watching dvds
>   this is completely ok. The only solution to watch divx movies however,
> is to decode the video and then to recode it to mpeg-1 on-the-fly. Of
> course you need some computing power to do this...

I currently have an 1,4GHz Athlon machine, I would think it would be
able to re-encode divx's to mpeg (or am I wrong?)

> - At the moment, the dxr3 ouput plugin for mplayer does not fully work.
> The video is choppy and not a fun to watch. But the plugin is actively
> maintained by David Holm who is working on this issue. Hopefully this
> problem will be solved soon.
This sounds like serious trouble. But as with any Open Source software,
I might be able to give a hand, in one way or another.

> For avis, I'm not quite sure. I have some weird avis here, for which the
> "xv" ouput computes the correct aspect ratio, while the "dxr3" output is
> completely messed up. But I did not want to bother David with this,
> until he finsihed fixing the most urgent bugs.
Well, it sounds like that dxr3 cards will have a decent output from
mplayer within too long time. And again, maybe I can even help out
somewhere ;)

> Feel free to ask some more questions.
>
> CU
> Michael.