[MPlayer-users] using VESA and radeon image is purple where black should be

Brian J. Murrell cc8f8df65fed85d068198f6aa4f20f73 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 31 16:20:23 CET 2001

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 05:38:45PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> You use SW scaling automatically if you use pure VESA output.

By "pure VESA output" you mean vesa without the use of the
":lvo:/dev/radeon_vid" option right?

> Patrly by IDCT

That would be nice.

> A lot: Matrox, NVidia

Really?

Matrox (G400):
    - monkeying around needed to get BES on the TV-Out port.
    - out of production and generally unavailable now
    - very expensive compared to other TV-Out hardware

NVidia:
    - binary drivers
    - will always be dependent on vendor for support (what happens
      if/when NVidia decides to abandon Linux?)

> Try every compatible and select faster for you.

Ahhhh.  That's the good point.  There are a lot of codecs in the "-vc"
output.  How do I know which ones are even able to play my particular
file?

Time for an RFE:

mplayer -vc help some_file

should only show the codecs compatible with "some_file".

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell