[mplayer] Re: MPEG-2 sound problem

Paul Holcomb mpeg2 at blue.cpoint.net
Thu Feb 22 16:55:27 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 11:32:39AM -0600, Arpi wrote:
> > > You can try recompile MPlayer with #undef HAVE_AUDIO_SELECT
> > > in config.h
> > >

> >  No, both of these flags still produce the same behavoir, and I tried
> >  changing that config.h define as well.
> Did you recompile mplayer after changing mplayer? (I mean
> make distclean;make dep;make)

 I did indeed.

> What about -abs 32768   ?
>
> > DEMUXER: Too many (2048 in 4010196 bytes) video packets in the buffer!
> > (maybe you play a non-interleaved stream/file or video codec failed)
> Try to increment limits in demuxer.c:
>
> from:
> #define MAX_PACKS 2048
> #define MAX_PACK_BYTES 0x400000
>
> to:
> #define MAX_PACKS 16384
> #define MAX_PACK_BYTES 0x2000000

 Ok, this change made the sound work, and it played normally, but made
 the video unhappy.

 I tested it under -vo mga, and -vo x11, and in both cases the video
 played much too rapidly, if I had to guess I would say about 4x.

 with -vo mga:

  screen is white while sound starts (same way DivX ;-) avi looks for
  me), and then when the sound gets to the end, the video plays
  correctly, but sped up, as noted above.

with -vo x11

  video starts playing immediately, and sped up.  sound plays at
  normal speed and stops when the video ends, prematurely, since the
  video has been sped up.

 I tried a number of different sound flags in combination with the
 above, with no effect on either.

 -abs 0, -afm 0, -noalsa, -abs 32768, and even -nosound.  With the
  last, the sound does not play, but the video is still sped up.
  And the mga output is still white in the beginning.

As a note, the machine that I am playing using the -vo mga driver on
is an 1Ghz Athlon running 2.4.1 with the OSS Turtle Beach Fiji and a G400
Max, the machine that I am using the -vo x11 is an Dual 400 Mhz Pent II
2.4.1 box with an OSS Turtle Beach Malibu.  Both are using the same
test file and the same mplayer binary.

In addition I have used a number of different MPEG2-PS files to test,
and I can provide the file that I have used the past couple of days if
necessary.

--
Paul Holcomb                               *pholcomb    \@      cpoint  net*
Sr. Network Engineer                       Counterpoint Networking, Inc.