[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Jul 7 12:34:46 CEST 2001

Hi, Arpi!

On 2001-07-06 14:44:49 you wrote:

>it is the first open-source DivX ;-) (a.k.a. MS-Mpeg4) codec.
>it's unoptimized yet, but in the future we (together with ffmpeg guys)
>will optimize it

Good and useful work, but I have some question:
1. You wrote "(together with ffmpeg guys)". How you understand it?
What will be primary CVS - mplayer's or ffmegs's?
2. How you plan to sync with ffmpeg in the future?
3. What style of assembler should be prefered for this codec:
nasm, gas or inline?
Nasm is much better of gas, but I prefer inline assembler because it
allows for compiler perform some additional optimization (like function
inlining, loop unrolling and so on).
Btw, I've found that this codec still can be optimized on "C" level (it contains
some constructions which are not conforming with common optimization
suggestions.)
4. The code which ffmeg's guys called _SSE should be renamed to MMX2 -
it can be executed on K7.
(gcc3.0's guys should do same, but they are too haughty, sorry!)

Slight offtopic:
I've read some announcements of Athlon4 and found that AMD (by rumour) will add
SSE support to this chip. They called it 3dnow! professional, but indeed it will
trivial SSE1 (probably). In this connexion - do you have any solutions about
optimization for this cpu (3DNOW + SSE)? I've understand that for 1.5GHz cpu
optimization level don't matter but from principle point - mplayer will choose
SSE optimized sources against 3dnow if it find sse extension, but mplayer contains
less SSE optimized code than 3dnow. (And in addition in case of mp3lib - MMX
optimzed code is assigned for SSE for now.). I already told you that linuxvideo
project contains a lot of SSE optimized code for libac3 but nobody who has P3
compatible cpu wanted to apply this functions to mplayer.
Do you plan something to do?

Maybe who has some ideas about?

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-07 10:04:47)