[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Jul 7 12:08:02 CEST 2001

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:55:33AM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > -vcodec 1		?
> > -vcodec 2		wfv codec
> > -vcodec 3		?
> > -vcodec 4		dshow codec
> > -vcodec 5		ffmpeg codec
> >
> > Sorry I don't know too much on codec types so maybe a better config option
> > range (the integer) checking is needed.
> =) I've done about the same this night, only I use -ac <name> and -vc <name>
> where name is the codecs name from the codecs.conf, which is more convenient
> I think, so I removed your -vcodec stuff. Btw. I don't fallback to codec
> autodetect when forced codec fails, if one whants to force, why fallback?

Because you may want to use ffmpeg codecs so you insert option into config
file. But what if you want to play a different type of movie which isn't
handled by ffmpeg codecs? My basic idea was the ability of selecting driver
type IF available but allow to fall back other codecs if not supported by
that driver type. With your patch it is not possible to give that option
into config file to TRY to force driver type but not disturb formats which
hasn't got codec inside that driver type set. Or something :) I hope I was
clear enough but who knows ...

> so you can do something like ./mplayer foo.avi -ac mp3acm -vc ffdivx

Nice, but as I mentioned above you CAN'T insert these options to your
config file!! I didn't want to FORCE a special codec BUT TRY to force
a DRIVER TYPE (not codec). You option is usefull but somewhat differs from
my goals so I think patches of both of us are usefull and for different
things. (It would be usefull to force a dedicated audio/video codec for
playing but it would be usefull to try to use codec from a driver family
as well. These are not the same!!)

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!