[Mplayer-users] 0.18pre4 released with native divx codec :)

Gabucino gabucino at k2.jozsef.kando.hu
Tue Jul 10 14:22:44 CEST 2001

It's the Question that drives us, Nick Kurshev :
> Why users should download these large archives when mplayer contains
Large? It's downloading fast even on my 14.4 modem (yes.) .

> I never said about removing win32 stuff entire for the now.
> But in the future - when native codecs will come in.
Of course. But it's as unlikely as M$ sends us WMV8 sources for example.

> In general I can remove all win32 support locally on my computer since they
And when you encounter an Indeo5/WMV7 AVI, you'll recompile. Well, it's up
to you. Or: compile two binaries, 'mplayer' and 'mplayer-win32' . Great, eh?
:/

> (Of course sometime mplayer uses divx audio support of which still is not
> implemented as open source codecs - but only rare .avis contain such streams)
No. For example a very significant amount of anime on the net (and some of
mine) contain DivXa.

> MPlayer could lost so much unnecessary stuffs: wine, dshow, vfw, ... and be
> much faster without emulators.
It wouldn't be faster, only the binary would be smaller. As far as I know.
Use UPX :)

Will you answer to such mails : "WTF, mplayer doesn't even play Indeo !"
(oh well, RTFM :)

--
Gabucino