[Mplayer-users] adjusting brightness

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 13 11:45:29 CEST 2001

On Friday, 13. July 2001 07:56, you wrote:
> Let me preface by saying that mplayer RULES!
> It's the best movie player I've tried
> for Linux, or Windoze for that matter.
>
> Small problem:
> My monitor does not get exceptionally bright and
> I've noticed that some videos tend to be rather dark.
> (Made by the same people that play quake, I guess.)  Is there
> an easy way to bump up the brightness?  Or is this
> codec and/or video device dependent?
> Thanks for any good tips, or bad hacks.
hmm I can give two hints (both untested), first the dshow divx codec allows
changing brightness of the image, so commented out code for that is in
mplayer.c (search for divx_quality, you'll get the ide what the correct stuff
is).
Second tip imho XVideo extension allows for brightness etc. control, so that
could be done somewhere in libvo/vo_xv.c.
Think Arpi also suggested, that brightness could be changed on YUV to RGB
conversion used by -vo x11, dga and others by changing the constants used.

--
Best Regards,
   Felix