[Mplayer-users] compile without MMX

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Fri Jul 13 21:45:08 CEST 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> > Yeah, so do I .. but early K6-2's had broken MMX as I understand it. Thats
> > why I always upgrade late :)
> well if it's really broken, then it's most probable only single instructions,
> that cause probs, test if it works and if not you could try debugging mplayer
> to find instructions that cause probs and then it could be tried to find a
> workaround for that then (by using some other instructions).

I did not hear of broken MMX in K6-2 before. However Dariusz said, it
the CPU used to work with DivX (with it does not anymore). So it's most definitely
one or a few recently broken MMX instructions.
Problem is, I have no test-program that identifies this and trying by
hand is much more work than I would like to (I know my way around
assembler, but I'm not a i386/MMX professional).
Too bad the instruction does not crash, but simply gives wrong results
(which is wrong pictures).

gruel