[Mplayer-users] ./configure on OpenBSD (MMX)

Juergen Keil jk at tools.de
Mon Jul 16 16:27:12 CEST 2001

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Johnny Tripp"
> <paranoia at antionline.org>
>

> #uname -mps
>
> OpenBSD i386 Intel Pentium/MMX ("Genuine Intel" 586 class)

Unfortunately that's not useful for me because I still don't know
the exact output for each of the switches, so I have no chance of adding
configure support for OpenBSD.  Please, run the uname commands once again,
but pass only one of the switches for each invokation.

I guess uname -s prints "OpenBSD".
One of "uname -p" or "uname -s" seems to print "i386";  this is actually what
the configure script is looking for.

> -> im no programmer, but if  it's suppose to work in FreeBSD should'nt it work
in OpenBSD?

Unfortunatelly, not.  There are suble differences between the different
xxxBSD variants.

The mplayer code contains constructs like 'if system is freebsd, do this, else
do something else'.  Most of these places must be identified and probably
changed to 'if system is freebsd or openbsd or netbsd, do this, else do
something else'.

But somethimes, even freebsd != openbsd (or freebsd != netbsd) and the
changes are more difficult.

As a temporary hack, you can try to change line 190 of the configure script

    host_arch=`uname -p 2>&1`   # host's instruction set or processor type

    host_arch=i386

and the configure error message you're getting is gone,  but I guess that
sooner or later,  more problems will occur, until someone ports the code to
OpenBSD.

Jürgen Keil          		jk at tools.de
Tools GmbH			+49 (228) 9858011