[Mplayer-users] Elementary streams (ES)

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Tue Jul 17 15:21:41 CEST 2001

> Strong. I think not the encoding is the problem, rather the bandwith.
> You will get very high bitrate stream if using only I frames, and keep
> high image quality. It can be even 10-20 MB/s. PC memory and PCI bus speed
> will be the bottleneck...

Uhm, I don't think the DVB card can cope with such high bitrates ...

> I still prefer using Divx -> MPEG2 I+P transcoding, using Q and MC values
> from the divx.
> Btw your p2/333 will be NEVER enough for this, as you have to decode DIVX
> stream to YV12 frames, and then encode it to mpeg2. And the card will
decode
> it so it's triple work. The only way to get around this is transcoding,

Hmm, would the PII/333 be enough to decode the DivX stream and display it
using the framebuffer driver in full-screen mode? What about the image
quality? I've got a ATI Rage 128 card with TV-Out in my DVB box, but I
haven't got it to work with Linux framebuffer drivers at 50 Hz (it won't
switch below 60 Hz refresh rate although that works fine under Windows). The
image quality at 640x480 is ugly compared to the DVB card :^) and there is
no way to properly center the image on the TV screen.

I'm thinking about replacing the ATI card with a Matrox card which seems to
have a better framebuffer driver available. Is this a good choice? My main
goal is to keep the DVB PC as silent as possible because I'm using it as a
standalone VCR (or should I say VDR?). A CPU that needs an active heatsink
is no option so everything I have to do in realtime has to be extremely
efficient and must run on a slow CPU (<= PII @ ~ 400 MHz).

As far as I see it, there are currently two options:

1. convert DivX to MPEG-2. Pros: high image quality because of output
through DVB card, no VGA card required. Cons: slow, huge computing overhead
(DivX->MPEG-2 -> MPEG2->TV screen), no software available as of now

2. play DivX via Mplayer on framebuffer display. Pros: player readily
available, framebuffer display can be used for more than just video streams,
Cons: what VGA card with TV-out comes close to the DVB card's image quality?

> > BTW, the DVB card has built-in OSD functionality ;-)
> Does it have nice antialiased fonts, like MPlayer's?

Ha, you must be joking ... The OSD is limited to a maximum of 16 colors and
there isn't even enough memory being reserved by the firmware that you can
fill the entire screen then ;-)))

Regards,
hh