[Mplayer-users] Networking with mplayer

Nathan Bradshaw nb at jobtrak.com
Wed Jul 18 21:42:18 CEST 2001

> Message: 6187891
> FROM: Arpi
> DATE: 07/16/2001 08:03:52
> SUBJECT: RE:  [Mplayer-users] Networking with mplayer
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'm using mplayer very often in LAN to watch videos from another machines.
>> If the file is on my machine, it goes OK, if it' is in the network, it
>> stops for a half a sec, and not goes smoothly. I  tried to use some cache
>> but it doesn't help. Are you planning to write some buffer-tech for this
>> reason? My card is only 10MBit/s but 1.2 Mbyte should be alright for even
>> divx, not only for mpeg or anything like that. But sometime it slows down,
>> so a cache would probably help.
>
> It's planned, read TODO or this maillist...
>
> currently as a workaround, you can use TOOLS/cache.c
> not too perfect, but it worked for me playing divx from NFS-mounted disks,
> over 10MBit net.
>
>> By the way, when do we get the GUI? :))
>
> dunno. but it should be up at end of august...
>
> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Hi guys,

        How do you use TOOLS/cache.c?  I compiled it but can't find any
documentation.  :-)

I have a similar problem, but a little worse effect.  Using an NFS-mount
over 802.11 wireless network, I get around 600 Kbytes/sec pretty steady,
no problems for my DivX-encoded DVDs.  However, about every 5 minutes the
802.11 cards lose sync (or something!) with each other and take 5 seconds
to resync.  The movie is frozen during this time!

No problem, I thought, I'll just use 'bfr' to buffer ahead a good 10 or
20Mb of RAM (the little linux book PC set-top box I use has 256Mb RAM),
redirect bfr output to a named pipe and have mplayer read from that pipe.

Well, mplayer hates that, it doesn't want to read from a 'stream', maybe it
needs to seek within the file or something.  But I am stuck now.  Will
the cache.c programbe able to help me?

-Nathan