[Mplayer-users] HELP! Installing SDL 1.2.1 destroyed audio configuration

Saimon Moore smoore at serikat.es
Fri Jul 20 11:12:24 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I'm new to mplayer, I downloaded the source yesterday and proceeded to
compile it (I'm using SUSE 7.2). Configure came up with a warning about the
fact that my version of SDL (1.1.6) was too old and that I should update to
1.1.8 or later so I downloaded the 1.2.1 rpm from the SDL web site. I
installed it with rpm -i and it got installed ok but configure came up with
the same complaint so I figured I should have removed version 1.1.6 first
(It was still there). So I tried removing it, but there were quite a few
dependencies. As i had installed version 1.2.1, I forced the uninstall of
1.1.6 thinking that any dependencies 1.1.6 had would be covered by the 1.2.1
version.

I tried mplayer, and the video works great, but there was no audio. I tried
various drivers and none seemed to work. Then i realised that I had lost
audio for the whole system. Obviously,forcing the uninstall of 1.1.6 wasn't
such a good idea :(.

Could anyone suggest how I could recuperate audio on my system as I don't
have much of an idea about how audio works in Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Saimon