[Mplayer-users] How to pipe the ac3 data through an external program like ac3play ?

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 22 17:05:17 CEST 2001

Hello Dieter,

Sunday, July 22, 2001, 3:45:59 PM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> I've created a avi-file with divx video and ac3 tone.
> If I use the -dumpaudio option, I get a file stream.dump, which I can
> play with ac3play and get dolby digital sound.

> If I try to pipe the ac3 data to a file during playing the avi file, I
> don't get any ac3 data (ac3play says "CRC failed").

> I want to pipe this data in a pipedevice, so ac3play can play it during
> watching the video.

> the command I tried it:

> mplayer -vo x11 -ao pcm -nowaveheader mydivx.avi

> my codecs.conf

> --snip--
> audiocodec pcm
>   info "Uncompressed PCM"
>   status working
> ;  format 0x1
> ;;;; these are for hardware support only:
> (alaw,ulaw,ima-adpcm,mpeg,ac3)
> ;  format 0x6
> ;  format 0x7
> ;  format 0x11
> ;  format 0x50
>   format 0x2000
> ;;;;
>   driver dvdpcm
>   dll "uncompressed"
> --snip--

sorry but pcm codec in codecs.conf and -ao pcm are two totally
different things, one defines what library to use for playing back pcm
data in a video the other one selects the audio out plugin which dumps
data to a raw pcm/wave file.
And if you use -ao pcm ac3 sound gets first decodec by libac3 which
also does downmix to stereo, so the pcm file you get is stereo only
and of no use for ac3play. -dumpaudio directly dumps the compressed ac3
data.
> Does anybody have successfully get the ac3data ?
the right thing to achieve this imho is to build ac3play code as an
alternative (to libac3) ac3 codec for mplayer.

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net