[Mplayer-users] libac3 and sse

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 22 22:28:55 CEST 2001

Hello Falk,

Sunday, July 22, 2001, 9:38:24 PM, you wrote:

>> have you tried compiling mplayer with ./configure --disable-sse ? And
>> please tell what signal you get when mplayer crashes (ie. 11 SEGFAULT,
>> 4 SIGILL).

then there are two options:
1. your cpu doesn't support sse
2. your kernel doesn't properly support sse
I think it's 2. there exists same prob with some 2.2.x linux kernels
which don't properly support sse.

> It's a 4 SIGILL...I included a gdb output....hopefully you find any
> hint...
eeh it's of no use, compile mplayer with ./configure --enable-debug
and use mplayer binary inside mplayer sourcetree (I think mplayer is
stripped on install)

root at helium:~>> gdb mplayer mplayer.core
> GNU gdb 4.18
your debugger is outdated for debugging sse code, grab yourself a copy
of GDB 5.1 (as it's not released yet, use a cvs copy/snapshot ->
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/ ).

> Furthermore I compiled it without sse support and voila, I get pretty nice
> sound, but the movie is more a slide show....changing vo from x11 to dga
> in config did not change anything;(
add -bpp 16 to commandline, it reduces memory bandwidth needed and
gives quite a speedup.

> Is there any way to increase speed without using sse support? I can not
> imagine that sse plays the major part in means of speed...
it's quite a difference believe me, SSE code operates on 4 floats at a
time instead of 1 with FPU code, if you substract speed loss for
modifying data to work with sse, which is sometimes needed you're at
least with double speed of fpu code. Of course not all mplayer code is
assembler optimized and not all code operates with floats so don't
expect sse version of mplayer to be twice the speed of non-sse (and
there's still mmx optimizations for integer stuff).

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net