[Mplayer-users] cyrillic fonts

lanzz at lanzz.org lanzz at lanzz.org
Mon Jul 23 07:41:40 CEST 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, [ISO-8859-1] Felix Bünemann wrote:

> > when i finally managed to put my hands on the elusive cyrillic fonts (thanks,
> > arpi), it turned out that they're quite ugly. so i just made my own. they're
> > not a whole font like bgfont.zip, they're just the cyrillic letters and a
> > cyr.desc which takes the rest from arial-12. the resulting bundle is much
> > smaller and even looks better :)
> btw. theres a tool to create fonts in the TOOLS dir using freetype
> lib (haven#t teste it myself).

i tried it, and found it uncomfortable to use. it generates a complete font,
while i just needed the cyrillic letters. also, it produces strangely uneven
spaces between the characters - sometimes putting them so close together so
there is no place for the shadow map. it leaves HUGE empty spaces where there
are no defined glyphs in the font. it generates pngs, while i created the font
directly in the gimp and saved it directly as raw. all in all, the tool might
be useful for creating a whole new font, but not for creating a simple
modification like i needed. i think it would be better to create a gimp
script for dumping a font - i think it will not be impossible to make it do
everything by itself, including the shadow bitmap and the font.desc. i'll
try to put a perl-fu together, but it might take time since i'm doing it at
work and that's not the only thing i'm doing :)