[Mplayer-users] dirty ideas to speedup libMP3

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Mon Jul 23 09:34:35 CEST 2001

Hi,

I found that on slow CPUs (and I mean slooooooow like mine), MP3 Audio
eats a lot of CPU time (up to 50%, it can't skip & often no MMX and/or 3dnow) I
am looking for a way to speed this up.

Would it be possible to
1) preprocess audio data (uncompressed) to get a lower bitrate? like half or so?
2) process audio bitstream only partially, e.g. drop the highest frequencies,
s.th. quality gets lower, but decoding faster?

gruel

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se