[Mplayer-users] dirty ideas to speedup libMP3

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 23 14:26:53 CEST 2001

Hello Christoph,

Monday, July 23, 2001, 9:34:35 AM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> I found that on slow CPUs (and I mean slooooooow like mine), MP3 Audio
> eats a lot of CPU time (up to 50%, it can't skip & often no MMX and/or 3dnow) I
> am looking for a way to speed this up.

> Would it be possible to
> 1) preprocess audio data (uncompressed) to get a lower bitrate? like half or so?
> 2) process audio bitstream only partially, e.g. drop the highest frequencies,
> s.th. quality gets lower, but decoding faster?
MPEG decoder from Nullsoft's WinAMP supports quality settings for
slower cpus it says: Qualiy (Full/Half/Quarter): Selecting Half or
Quarter quality will downsample the output, resulting in less
processor usage.
Maybe implementation of such feature in mp3lib would be possible.

And saw FHGs win32 mpeg decoder shipped with mpplayer codecs package
also support downsampling (says Frequency Full/Half/Quarte in
Properties page), also supports changing resolution from 16bit to 8bit.
So if we lookup the right registry key we could also change that
options under wine loader.

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net