[Mplayer-users] new ffmpeg/libavcodec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Jul 24 20:02:16 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:
>
> > I'm also thinking about buying a Radeon card...
> > (as nvidia sux, and G400 isn't as fast as i want)
>
> Speaking of video cards, how open source friendly is ATI? Are they at least
> better than NVidia?

Afaik ATI itself doesn't develop drivers. They gave docs to DRI guys,
and paid for the driver developemnt. Drivers are 100% opensource.
(same for matrox, but TV-out and dualhead support for G400 requires a
binary-only lib called libHAL, because they used foregin technologies
for dualhead, which can't be opened :(
3dfx is even better, they already made their famous Glide opensource too.)

Personally I hate nvidia. Not only for binary-only drivers, but their
very bad support. They made something called drivers, and they are proud
to support linux... but really it is buggy unstable shit.
And they doesn't seem to want fix bugs and problems. For example the
famous green/purple lines at bottom of Xv window...
still not fixed, while it's known (and reported) bug for 3 months.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu