[Mplayer-users] C-Media Electronics Inc CM8338A (cmpci) sound fails since kernel 2.4.6

Jean-Luc Fontaine jfontain at winealley.com
Wed Jul 25 17:43:25 CEST 2001

Attila Kinali wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:04:22 +0200 Jean-Luc Fontaine <jfontain at winealley.com> wrote:
>

>>I am baffled.
>>
>>I no longer get sound (just a big hiss) with mplayer (also aviplay) with
>>kernels 2.4.6 and 2.4.7 (used to work with 2.4.5).
>>
>>But I can still play mp3s just fine!!!
>>
>>Has anybody solved that problem?
>>

> Try to debug it, there is a great SOUND-HOWTO, read it.
> Afterwards you should be able to tell us what doesn't work.
>
> 			Attila Kinali

I did that without results.
A cat of a soundfile to /dev/dsp works but mplayer still fails (along
with realplayer, ...).

It seems to be kernel related, as I am not the only one with the problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=8338+linux&hl=en&safe=off&scoring=d&rnum=3&selm=linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.33.0107161237440.2356-100000%40cupotka.dyn.ee

--
Jean-Luc Fontaine