[Mplayer-users] Translations

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 25 23:25:04 CEST 2001

On Saturday, 21. July 2001 20:57, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 05:35:23PM +0200, André Dahlqvist wrote:
> > > I assume there is work going on to translate mplayer itself to other
> > > languages? I mean, there isn't much point in just having the
> > > documentation in other languages.
>
> It's planned, but I dunno yet how. I hate locale/gettext stuff.
> I think that "help wizard" messages (for example: Did you copied
> codecs.conf to xyz? download codecs pack from ftp:... and install this way:
> ... ) should go to a new file, maybe a .h file defined as constants.
> configure should have an option to choosee language, and use the proper
> language helps.h file.
I also thought about that first, but than I thought having language resources
loadable on the fly would be nicer, so how about having messages marked by an
ID inside a text file and on mplayer start determine language for current
user and load resources from text file into memory into an array of arrays of
chars where index in first dimension of array is identical to id in the
textfile, now just have something mprintf(2) or so, to printout id 2. If I'd
isn't found in locales textfile, load it from english resource, if not found
there show some error and abort mplayer.
The tricky part is finding unique ids, so maybe also a tool should be written
which scans sources and checks for next available id (no prob in Perl Fu :).

--
Best Regards,
   Felix