[Mplayer-users] video card(s)?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jul 26 23:48:54 CEST 2001

Hi,

> A'rpi, -and others- what _cheap_  (== under 60 usd /20.000 huf) cards do
> you offer with linux?
Matrox G450 (if <20eHuf, you can buy g450 16MB DDR)

Or even cheaper: Ati Xpert at 98, it's about 8e Huf here.
(and it has good OpenGL (relatiev to price... don't compare to Geforce GTS)
with Utah-GLX, and has good Xv drivers too)

> I'm only using with xfree(3.6 now), but i will use with mplayer MOSTLY,
> and games in linux, if possible. ms games doesn't matter, i like
> software rendering, and i play only sometimes.

I perfer matrox, because it has lowlevel linxu driver (mga_vid.o) which
works without X 4.0 (other cards need X 4.0 for Xv support).
And in image quality, matrox wins every tests.

> i can buy an s3 savage4, i've heard it's not a good card for playing,
> but is it useable under linux / i mean, i know it works, but there is
> hardware acc. xfree 4.x driver, mplayer works fine, in full screen,
> etc./
S3 sux. don't buy it.
I've never seen working, fast drivers for S3 cards (Trio3D/2x AGP, and
Savage4)

If you're mostly use linux, you should choose betwee ati, matrox and 3dfx
cards. They have good (more-or-less, but much better than other cards like
S3 or Trident) linux drivers.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu