[Mplayer-users] Maintaining movie acpect ratio in windowed mode, possible?

Jean-Luc Fontaine jfontain at winealley.com
Mon Jul 30 10:27:35 CEST 2001

Juha Kuikka wrote:

>>A feature like -zoom would be nice, but it would be better if you could
>>resize while watching the movie like Windows media player (If you don't
>>know what WMP does: If you resize the window then WMP keeps the movie
>>aspect ratio inside the border). A feature where you could zoom in-movie
>>would be as good.
>>

> I agree. Something like that would be very usable.  Sadly I lack the skill
> needed to implement it. :(

There is a way to tell the window manager to maintain the aspect ratio
while resizing.

I am sorry that I do not have the time to dig any deeper right now but
"man wm" from Tcl/Tk gives:

        wm aspect window ?minNumer minDenom maxNumer maxDenom?
               If  minNumer,  minDenom, maxNumer, and maxDenom are
               all specified, then they will be passed to the win­
               dow  manager and the window manager should use them
               to enforce a range of acceptable aspect ratios  for
               window.   The aspect ratio of window (width/length)
               will be constrained to lie between  minNumer/minDe­
               nom  and  maxNumer/maxDenom.   If minNumer etc...

It should be easy to find the corresponding C code from the Tcl/Tk
source (at activestate.com).

> - Juha Kuikka

Jean-Luc Fontaine