[Mplayer-users] Re: ATI Radeon VE

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Mon Jul 30 15:38:39 CEST 2001

Hi, Arpi!

On 2001-07-30 10:53:29 you wrote:

>Hi,

>> >try to play with -pp option
>> >-pp 0 - no postp
>> >-pp 63 - all postp filters
>> >
>> Yes, -pp 0 is better but not perfect.
>> With -pp 63 I got some strange rectangles (squares) on screen
>> when story is changed.
>What about immediate values? 7, 15 etc ?
I still have not configured MTRR and -dga doesn't work for me.
in this connexion -pp 15 already perform not real-time decoding
but I've not found any visible difference in picture quality,
althrough something is changed, undoubtedly.
Thus -pp 0 is better key for me. ;)
But problem with sharpness looks like image is scaled without antialiasing
(mean boundaries of diagonalled object is not smooth and have little steps,
althrough under windows - all fine).
Maybe win driver uses hardware scaling or something other tricks?

>> >i think that no postp needed for DVD, it's high bitrate enough.
>> >postproc is recommended for low bitrate mpeg1 files.

>> >do you have DRI set up corectly?
>> I don't use dri. Finely dri module is loaded but Section "DRI" is commented out.
>> >how many fps do you get from 'gears' ?
>> I don't know how extract such information from 'gears'
>> but 'glxgears' shows me 170FPS in standard window and 16-20FPS in window
>> which have size of full screen (1024x768x24).
>it's software render then.
>even an old ati rage pro gives 600fps in window...
>my g400 gives 1200 fps.

3D performance is on main goal for me ;)
But in the future I'll tuneup and this feature.

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-30 13:31:39)