[Mplayer-users] Real Benchmarking

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 30 22:52:31 CEST 2001

Hello Christoph,

> Hi Arpi,

> since you included this great benchmarking option a while ago and everybody
> keeps talking about how fast his CPU and/or video card is with which version
> of what, how about putting a few (legal) reference files for benchmarking on
> the FTP?
> Say, one MPEG1 (low res, low bitrate), one MPEG2 (high res, high bitrate),
> one DivX-AVI (low,low), one DivX-AVI (high, high). Or take MPEG4 instead of
> DivX, whatever.

OK, I've today created sample clips for alls tuff from the same
source, scene has low and very high motion (it's a 3:07minutes action
scene from The Matrix, megawidescreen :).

These are the formats I created:
1. DVD Quality
   Video: 720x540 mpeg2 video, bitrate similiar to DVD
   Audio: 16Bit Stereo, 48kHz, 384kbps mpeg 2 audio, error correction,
   normalized
   (well ac3 would be nice, anyone knows a soft to multiplex mpeg2
   with ac3 streams?)
   Filesize: 126MB

2. VCD Quality
   Video: 352x288 mpeg1 video, bitrate similiar to VCD
   Audio: 16Bit Stereo, 44.1kHz, 224kbps mpeg 2 audio, no error
   correction, normalized
   Filesize: 31.2MB

3. Full DVD Quality (3CD) DivX ;-)
   Video: 720x576 low motion divx, 1600kbps, crispness 100, variable keyframe
   delay
   Audio: 16Bit, Dolby AC3, 384kbps, 48kHz
   Filesize: 45.8MB

4. Near DVD Quality (2CD) DivX ;-)
   Video: 640x256 low motion divx, 1200kbps, crispness 100, variable
   keyframe delay
   Audio: 16Bit, 48kHz VBR MP3 around 160kbps, normalized
   Filesize: 31.7MB

5. Good quality 1CD DivX ;-)
   Video: 560x224 low motion divx, 700kbps, crispness 75, variable
   keyframe delay
   Audio: 16Bit, 44kHz CBR MP3, 96kbps, normalized
   Filesize: 18.5MB

6. Low quality DivX ;-) (like converted from mpeg, or broadband
   streaming video)
   Video: 352x144 low motion divx, 450kbps, crispness 75, variable
   keyframe delay
   Audio: 16Bit, 32kHz divx audio (wma), 64kbps, normalized
   Filesize: 11.7MB

Anything missing here I should also encode? (maybe indeo5)

Who cares, ripping tools used: FlaskMPEG 0.6 with CSS mism and bbMPEG encoder
(vcd, mpeg2), Nandub 1.0rc2 (vbr, cbr mp3, ac3), VirtualDub 1.4.5
(wma), The Wave Normalize (normalizing), WinAMP (ac3 -> wav), DivX VKI
encoder

--
Best regards,
 Felix                            mailto:atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net