[Mplayer-users] Audio problem: it has 'wheezing' artifacts

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 5 14:14:40 CEST 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> Did you tuning of your Linux driver for SB16?
> It seems that you have misconfigured Linux driver.
> I have Creative SB16 (Vibra 16c) PnP but my card never used dma 3
> (16-bit DMA channel).

Ok, my fault. smpeg actually has the same problem. It's not the soundcard
or mplayer, but the videocard or it's driver. (s3 virge/dx 2mb). If I run
X in a smaller resolution (640x480 rather that 1024x768), or decrease the
refresh rate (60 Hz rather than 85) the sound plays perfectly. Somehow,
Windows 98 manages to play everything fine in any resolution. I think I
should report this to the XFree virge driver maintainer. Or get a better
card :)

By the way in Windows 98 the picture is much smoother, this is especially
noticeable during credits, that move from bottom to top. I suppose that's
because Windows can achieve a much better a/v sync. Is it true? Is it
fixable?

> Second: by default Linux assigned 1K dma buffer for SB16.
> Did you increase that (at least up to 32K)?

If you're talking about the dmabuf=1 option, it's not setting the buffer
size (that's fixed to 64K), but tells the driver whether the DMA buffer
should be persistent. The info is from
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/README.modules. And yes, I have that
option set to 1 in modules.conf.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/