[Mplayer-users] Compiling with Red Hat 7.1

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Jun 7 13:20:03 CEST 2001

Hi, Vesa Kukkonen!

On 2001-06-06 14:35:01 you wrote:

>Latest CVS doesn't compile with RH 7.1's gcc 2.96, but shouldn't following
>work:
>
>./configure --cc=kgcc
>You can get detailed help on configure with: ./configure --help
>Please wait while ./configure discovers your software and hardware
>environment!
>Checking version of kgcc ... egcs-2.91.66, bad
>Please downgrade(upgrade) gcc compiler to gcc-2.95.2+ or gcc-3.0+ version
>
>I can force it with --disable-gcc-checkig and it compiles OK. So it's not
>neccessary to downgrade/upgrade GCC.. a hint for RH users. But I don't
>know about performance difference between egcs and gcc, can somebody tell?
Are you sure? Indeed in gcc-2.95.2+ were fixed a lot of bugs (extremely in 2.95.3).
The fact that egcs compiles mplayer, does not mean that mplayer will work fine.
You are able to choose --disable-gcc-checking by your opinion but would be better
to use some official release of gcc.

Best regards! Nick (2001-06-07 11:15:16)