[Mplayer-users] Compiling with Red Hat 7.1

Jean-Luc Fontaine jfontain at winealley.com
Fri Jun 8 11:13:45 CEST 2001

On Friday 08 June 2001 10:46, Alex Kanavin wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > >In file included from imdct.c:146:
> > >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c: In function `imdct_do_512':
> > >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c:129: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
> >
> > Please don't use this RH shit aka gcc-2.96. Use normal compilers.
>
> The whole Red Hat 7.1 distro is compiled with it (including the 2.4.2
> kernel), so the compiler might not be that bad.

True. I have been using a gcc 2.96 kernel 2.4.5 for a while with no problems.

> "RH shit" will become gcc
> 3.0 in a few weeks and eventually will be included into most distros, what
> will you do then? Somehow, you'll have to make mplayer compile with it,
> either by fixing your code, or by reporting the problem to gcc team.

And I think Redhat contributes to gcc development.

> By the way, I did use RH's gcc to compile mplayer, and I'm not having any
> problems at all (bad sound is obviously not the compiler's fault). Of
> course, I'm having a single Intel Celeron CPU in my machine but anyway,
> putting a prohibition into ./configure, regardless of the system setup, is
> a little bit too much. Dare I suggest checking the number and type of CPUs
> after the discovery of 2.96 compiler and, depending on that, disabling
> 3DNow/MMX support?

Actually, on my K6 system, only 3Dnow causes problems. The mmx gcc 2.96
compiled version works just fine (I do not notice any decrease in performance
compared with an old 3Dnow enabled mplayer binary).

> > No - Mandrake. What stops you from compiling gcc-2.95.3 from the sources
> > which you can find at gcc.gnu.org? It's very simple work.
>
> I can do that. But you can't expect everyone to be able to do that.
> Mplayer is an end-user software, after all, not a hacker toy.

I agree that compiling gcc is a bit too much...

> > All what you need to do it's type commands:
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > make
> > make install
>
> Over existing RPM installation? I'd rather not, thank you. Installing
> from sources into /usr is a bad idea anyway.

Indeed.

--
Jean-Luc Fontaine