[Mplayer-users] Mplayer speed

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Fri Jun 8 11:24:24 CEST 2001

>Last night I had a couple sparks of intelligence I think might be valuable to
>others with slow systems like mine.  Some, maybe most will already know
>everything I have to share in this mail, but I have read the DOCS and some of
>this was new to me, so here goes.
>[...]
>
>2.  Now you might see you are dropping all over the place, what I did last
>night, which was mentioned here at one point I think (and isn't in the docs i
>think) is to change the vertical refresh to something lower, I went from 85hz
>to 60hz.  This made playback go from choppy (but in sync) o smooth and in
>sync.  The only way I know to change this is to edit you XFree86 config file.
>
>After having a divx movie on my computer for months, and never getting to
>watch it, I finally did last night with these tricks.  I also started X in the
>lowest resolution possible (large enough for the movie size obviously).  I
>guess matching the depth of the movie & X isn't a bad idea either.

Slightly offtopic, but:
Is that true? What is affected by screen refresh rate? Only speed of graphics
output, right? Because the workload on the graphics card may be lower? (Talking
on non-onboard graphics, of course).

Is there a way of setting screen refresh explicitely in XF86Config for different
modes that? Or do I have to calculate modelines for that?
(btw. a good tool is found at
http://www-sop.inria.fr/cgi-bin/koala/nph-colas-modelines )

Can I have different modelines for the same resolution? E.g. one with 90 Hz, one
with 60? How do I activate these and switch between these? Normally I use xv
output (ATI XPert at Work) and that doesn't change X-mode, but hardware-scales the
picture.

Some of this (with answers ;-) might be included in the DOCS,

gruel