[Mplayer-users] Compiling with Red Hat 7.1

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jun 8 11:37:14 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > >In file included from imdct.c:146:
> > >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c: In function `imdct_do_512':
> > >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c:129: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
> > Please don't use this RH shit aka gcc-2.96. Use normal compilers.
>
> The whole Red Hat 7.1 distro is compiled with it (including the 2.4.2
> kernel), so the compiler might not be that bad. "RH shit" will become gcc
It's too bad. Yes, it compiles normal C/C++ code with with -O2.
But MPlayer is highly optimized to use every transistor or your CPU,
but gcc 2.96 seems to have big problems compiling mmx/3dnow/sse asm code.
For example, tell me why gcc 2.96 (and only this version) skips the
half of mmx code of yuv2rgb_mmx_16 function? It's simly missing from
the resulted object file, with no warnings or error messages.

> 3.0 in a few weeks and eventually will be included into most distros, what
> will you do then? Somehow, you'll have to make mplayer compile with it,
> either by fixing your code, or by reporting the problem to gcc team.
MPlayer compiles with gcc 3.0-pre versions with no problems.
gcc 3.0 isn't a superset of 2.96, only some code from 2.96 was included
in that.

> By the way, I did use RH's gcc to compile mplayer, and I'm not having any
> problems at all (bad sound is obviously not the compiler's fault). Of
> course, I'm having a single Intel Celeron CPU in my machine but anyway,
> putting a prohibition into ./configure, regardless of the system setup, is
> a little bit too much. Dare I suggest checking the number and type of CPUs
> after the discovery of 2.96 compiler and, depending on that, disabling
> 3DNow/MMX support?
I suggested the same, but it will be big performance loss!

And you poor users always want to watch 720x576 divx on k6-300 and so
every bit of speed matters.

> > No - Mandrake. What stops you from compiling gcc-2.95.3 from the sources
> > which you can find at gcc.gnu.org? It's very simple work.
>
> I can do that. But you can't expect everyone to be able to do that.
> Mplayer is an end-user software, after all, not a hacker toy.
Yes, I know. This is why we don't understand why redhat distributes that
buggy gcc version.

And it isn't mplayer-only problem. Subscribe to other developer lists,
like DRI or aviplay, where asm code is heavily used, they all have
problems with 2.96.

> > All what you need to do it's type commands:
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > make
> > make install
>
> Over existing RPM installation? I'd rather not, thank you. Installing
> from sources into /usr is a bad idea anyway.
then simply do --disable-mmx --disable-3dnow --disable-sse etc.
and it will build nice slow C code with that "super" gcc version.
if you have machine fast enough, then it won't be problem for you.
if you have speed problems, then do not disturb us, rather install
somehow a better gcc, or even a better distribution.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu