[Mplayer-users] Compiling with Red Hat 7.1

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Fri Jun 8 16:07:50 CEST 2001

Hi, Alex Kanavin!

On 2001-06-08 12:46:43 you wrote:

>> >In file included from imdct.c:146:
>> >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c: In function `imdct_do_512':
>> >mmx/imdct_3dnow.c:129: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
>> Please don't use this RH shit aka gcc-2.96. Use normal compilers.
>
>The whole Red Hat 7.1 distro is compiled with it (including the 2.4.2
>kernel), so the compiler might not be that bad. "RH shit" will become gcc
>3.0 in a few weeks and eventually will be included into most distros, what
>will you do then? Somehow, you'll have to make mplayer compile with it,
>either by fixing your code, or by reporting the problem to gcc team.

Felix reported that gcc-3.0 compiles mplayer without any problems with enabled
3dnow optimization. So 3.0 != 2.96

>By the way, I did use RH's gcc to compile mplayer, and I'm not having any
>problems at all (bad sound is obviously not the compiler's fault). Of
>course, I'm having a single Intel Celeron CPU in my machine but anyway,
>putting a prohibition into ./configure, regardless of the system setup, is
>a little bit too much. Dare I suggest checking the number and type of CPUs
>after the discovery of 2.96 compiler and, depending on that, disabling
>3DNow/MMX support?

Probably it's only way to fight with 2.96

>> No - Mandrake. What stops you from compiling gcc-2.95.3 from the sources
>> which you can find at gcc.gnu.org? It's very simple work.
>
>I can do that. But you can't expect everyone to be able to do that.
>Mplayer is an end-user software, after all, not a hacker toy.

Yes - you are perfectly right. But if looks at RTFM DOCS/Requirements you will be able
to find out that we suggest only STABLE compilers for mplayer compilation.
But 2.96 is RH hacker toy - very buggy and UNOFFICIAL release.

>> All what you need to do it's type commands:
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>> make
>> make install
>
>Over existing RPM installation? I'd rather not, thank you. Installing
>from sources into /usr is a bad idea anyway.
If you understand what you do then it's safety way - if NOT then try
to find out in inet  2.95.3.rpm - probably on redhat.com it should be
because they downgraded their compiler to official gcc's distribution.

Best regards! Nick (2001-06-08 14:00:52)