[Mplayer-users] draft;) of bugzilla report concerning gcc 2.96 and mplayMon Jun 11 13:54:42 2001

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jun 11 14:01:31 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > Bug description: gcc 2.96-81 has problems with mmx/3dnow assembler code
> Not only -81. Every 2.96 (like I said it's the same CVS snapshot)
>

> > gcc 2.96-81 has a couple of problems when compiling mplayer, the movie
> > player for Linux (http://mplayer.sourceforge.net). One of them relates to
> Arpi said something about aviplay, that 2.96 causes problems with it too.

I can't explain avifile problems, check their archives. They have some
problems with the mpeg2raw function. gcc 2.96 only.

The MMX 16bpp problem of mplayer:
the funxtion yuv420_rgb16_mmx in file libvo/yuv2rgb_mmx.c compiles badly
with gcc 2.96 (dunno which sub-version, that one comes with standard redhat 7.1 dist)
Half of the inline asm code is missing from resulting object file.

You can test this bug with mplayer using -vo x11, running X at 16bpp, and
playing file with codec which uses YV12 pixel format (mpeg 1, 2 and opendivx).
You will see only black window. If you compile mplayer with --disable-mmx
then it will be ok.
Other outputs like Xv or SDL aren't good because they have own yuv2rgb code.
Other codecs aren't good (divx etc) because they use YUY2 or RGB, not YV12.

Compilation problems:
various compile errors with inline asm code in 3dnow-optimized files.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu