[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 12 17:54:07 CEST 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> It's bad idea for opensource software.

The fact that everyone is permitted to get the source and compile it for
themselves doesn't mean they would want to do that.

> It's increased size of code

Not much. And the code would be elegant and runnable on all machines.

> and don't give any effects.

Not being tied to a particular processor surely is an effect for me.

> Also it requires call via pointer instead of immediate call, so it
> minor slowdown speed too.

I'd be happy to sacrifice a little speed to get good universal binary.
Crucial parts of code would still be assembler-optimised anyway.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/