[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on non x86 platform

Maksim Krasnyanskiy maxk at qualcomm.com
Thu Jun 14 02:21:51 CEST 2001

Felix,

>Just to make sure you actually know what you are talking about: please
>point me to a project of yours with autoconf support so I can see if the
>autoconf actually suck as little as possible.
http://vtun.sf.net (IP/Ethernet tunneler for Linux, Solaris, *BSD)
http://vtun.sf.net/tun (Virtual net device driver, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD)
http://bluez.sf.net (Linux Bluetooth stack)

If you have time for analyzing configure scripts in my projects go ahead.

>And let's see if your tests are actually portable.
No complains so far :)

>You know, the more one understands of autoconf, the more complicated it gets.
>Trust me, I know it well enough to lecture on it, and I refuse to use it in my projects
>because of the bloat it adds.
Yeah, I guess hundreds of people are totally blind and dumb otherwise there is no explanation
why so many projects use autoconf.

>A hello-world style autoconf that looks for three headers and two libraries generates >100k
That's soo not true.
Not sure how you write your configure.in. I have several configure.in's that look for bunch of headers and libraries, etc
use local defined macros, and --with options and they are about 64K - 82K.

>configure with the current autoconf, plus >100k libtool crap if you use libtool (I hope you don't).
I don't use libtool.

>And generating configure takes >4 seconds on my dual P-II w/ 400 MHz each (i.e. is completely unacceptably slow).
Takes less than a sec for me.

Max

Maksim Krasnyanskiy
Senior Kernel Engineer