[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on non x86 platform

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jun 14 23:03:15 CEST 2001

Hi,

> >Your vtun configure.in looks quite clean now, but you don't actually do
> >any tests that need to compile anything like the MMX tests would need.
> Other projects do compile programs to test stuff. Autoconf provides all necessary tools.

Btw we should move to mplayer-dev-eng with this topic...
I think users aren't interested in this stuff.

But. My opinion:
autoconf is basicly a good thing. But as other tools, can be use wrong or
well. If someone knows how to use it, and know its tricks, options,
possibilities, then he can build relative small thing (yes, it will be still
2x-4x bigger than handmade ./configure, but it's _more_ portable and robust
so it's ok).

You folks are talking about automake/libtool too, they generate that many
files and big ugly makefiles! We don't want to use them. Only autconf,
to build ./configure from simple short configure.in.
It's a macro language, allowing you to write a single macro call line
instead of half page of script code for checking something. And it has many
predefined macros for common libheader checks.

I think we should give a try. We'll see, if it's unstable, buggy, slow or
simply not work,  WE CAN DROP IT and fall back to handmade scripts! But
if it works, it will be much better, at least for non-standard systems.
(I mean linux too, with packages installed to different dirs, missing
headers etc.)

We can't lose with this. We can try it, and drop if not good. And keep if
it's ok. Ok?

We only need some guys with depth knowledge of autoconf to convert current
configure script to equal or better quality configure.in file.
I'm really interested in the results.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu