[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Sat Jun 16 19:11:02 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> > Does using function pointers that were set up at start up result in a
> > noticeable peroformance decrease?
> Yep. Up to ten times the cycle count on some architectures, plus
> prefetching problems, plus cache pollution.

I think the best approach is to introduce two things:

1) a ./configure option that lets the user set the architecture/cpu
explicitly (if omitted, then the most appropriate for the current
processor is chosen)
2) another ./configure option that lets the user select between
compile-time #ifdef-style optimisation (makes faster binary for the
particular processor) and run-time function-pointers optimisation (makes
slower binary with all optimisation routines included, that can be run on
any processor)

That way everyone should be happy. What do you think?

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/