[Mplayer-users] Duron compilation

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Jun 17 11:00:17 CEST 2001

Hi, Jindrich Kolorenc!

On 2001-06-16 20:16:34 you wrote:

>> >I have Duron processor, which ./configure script detects. On the next line
>> >there is 'Optimizing to ... k6'. Is that correct? If yes what is k7
>> >processor then.
>> Could you print us your /proc/cpuinfo?
>It is:
>processor       : 0
>vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
>cpu family      : 6
>model           : 3
>model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
>stepping        : 0
>cpu MHz         : 599.721
>cache size      : 64 KB
>fdiv_bug        : no
>hlt_bug         : no
>sep_bug         : no
>f00f_bug        : no
>coma_bug        : no
>fpu             : yes
>fpu_exception   : yes
>cpuid level     : 1
>wp              : yes
>flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
>pat pse36 psn mmxext mmx fxsr 3dnowext 3dnow
>bogomips        : 1196.03
>
>> Also tell us what keys of configure you use?
>Oh, I don't understand what I am asked for. Maybe my english is not good
>enough. I just type './configure'

O'k

>Arpi wrote about gcc. Maybe it is old to support something better than k6.
>I use gcc 2.95.3.

Yes, original 2.95.3 doesn't support -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon switches.
Try latest CVS version. I've done some changes in configure. Now you should see:
Optimizing to ... pentiumpro instead of k6. PPro optimization
is much better of k6 since in this case gcc will produce
extended instruction set to binary output (CMOVxx FCMOVxx)

>And one additional question: Could someone tell me what the optimizing I
>am asking about mean? Is it optimization of the C code or also throwing
>out some of your assembler code?
If configure shows you:
Checking for 3dnow support ... yes
Checking for 3dnowex support ... yes
it means that from assembler part you will have full k7-3dnow support.
Optimizing to ... $proc
means only C level optimization.

Best regards! Nick (2001-06-17 08:53:09)