[Mplayer-users] SLOWMACHINES

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Jun 17 11:55:23 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:17:27 +0200 (MET DST) Christoph Lampert <lampert at math.chalmers.se> wrote:

> >Users of slow machines (e.g. below 500MHz, or below 600?), please send me
> >
> >1) your speed results (e.g. which resolution/codecs are visible, framedrop
> etc.)

I have a K6-II 350 (w/o MTRR support) and a P-II 400, with a G200.
Both CPUs are fast enough to decode most movies (because resizing
is done in haredware on the G200). The only problem I saw until
now is that the K6-II board (an Asus P5A) is too slow for
high res movies. ie the bandwith to the graphics card is the limiting
factor (difference is over factor 3!).

> >2) hard- and software config setting

Nothing special, besides the G200 and scsi HDs

> >3) tips and tricks

Use a fast graphics card, anything else does not matter :-)
And try to minimze the the amount of bytes/sec of the decoded
stream (video and audio)

> >4) whatever comes to mind

Maybe MTRR support with newer K6-II and K6-III can help with
the bandwith problem, can't test it.

			Attila Kinali
--
POINTER: A sort of dog which always seems to know which way the data went.