[Mplayer-users] Quicktime / realplay

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 19 16:38:29 CEST 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, SK wrote:

Should the following be added to FAQ, perhaps?

> I am fed up with the realplayer for linux. I mean, it sickens me because I
> want to see all typ of movies in my mplayer! Is there a hint on how to watch
> quicktime and "real" movies in mplayer? I hope.

There's no way to do it. Therefore these formats deserve to die in flames.
Theoretically you can reverse engineer Real codecs built for Linux (they
are available as .so files), but in practice that's really difficult, even
if you know how the compiler used by Real is making assembler code.

As for QuickTime, it's possible to play some old movies and this
capability will be added to mplayer soon (afai understood), but newer
clips are all Sorenson encoded, and that codec is built-in deep in the QT
executable, there's no way to use it.

Well, MS formats should also die, but at least you can play them...
until MS makes some incompatible change or discovers mplayer and threatens
the authors with legal action. It actually did so already (VirtualDub).

So... go with OpenDivX and Ogg Vorbis, these codecs are progressing quite
fast. And they're truly open.

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/