[Mplayer-users] ICCCM compliance

Mathias Hasselmann mathias.hasselmann at gmx.de
Wed Jun 20 15:03:37 CEST 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >    Poor statement. Specially since your code proves that you have never
> > read the ICCCM (Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual,
> > www.tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/) -- a document describing how window managers
> > and X clients are expected to interact.
> true. mplayer is written by many people, and for example I've never heard
> about this document (but I've never written any X11 code...)
>
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=432376&group_id=21299&atid=121299
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=432378&group_id=21299&atid=121299
>
> Thank you for help and patches, I've just fixed these.  Now it works at
> least with twm, it had fullscreen problems before just like icewm.

  Great :-)

> Also applied patch for setting up ClassHint. But what is it good for? :)

  It is used to identify classes of windows and to allow the user to
modify the window manager's behavior for this class of windows: E.g.
choose other window decorations, override application supplide window
properties (like geometry, window layer, icons...)

  Or you can abuse it to instance a pretty nice, lightweight and
application independed "run-one-instance-of-this-application-only"
feature... Well... a very useful default window hint...

Ciao,
Mathias
--
WWW:           http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/
PGP/GnuPG:     1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1