[Mplayer-users] Sound, sound, sound

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jun 28 14:31:02 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I noticed that the K-Media-Player (Nautilus or similar) can play multiple
> mp3s with multiple sessions without saying: "Sound device is in use!".
> But Mplayer can not. Even if KDE just made a noise I have to wait about
> 1-3 Minutes to watch and HEAR a media file:-( If I use mplayer with -nosound
> it starts playing. If I abort mplayer while loading it says:
> "setup_audio failed".
>
> Is there a thing which denies mplayer the use of the sound card when it's
> used?

KDE has its software sound mixer daemon called arts(?)
it allow multiple playback on sound card with one channel.
but, as mplayer is not a KDE application, it has no native connection
to this daemon. it want to control OSS device itself.
but you can try SDL output (-ao sdl:arts ?), it may help.
(if you have SDL compiled with arts support)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu