[Mplayer-users] Postprocessing

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Fri Mar 9 11:00:00 CET 2001

>Hi,
>
>> the X11 output has a much better quality here on my XFree 4.0.2, due to
>> some postprocessing I guess, than the Xv and the SDL.
>>
>> Is this a mplayer thing or a XFree thing?
>nope...
>
>i have never seen that x11 is better than xv...
>and there is no different postprocessing for x11/xv.
>
>xv has bilinear filtering in YUV space, while x11/dga has no filtering or
>filters in RGB space (sdl), so it's quality loss.
>
>what quality difference do you seen? Better contrast/colors?
>Less mpeg noise?

Less blocky, looks like some postprocessing antialiasing or similar.
It's best visible in cartoons like Simpsons, with sharp contrast thin lines,
e.g. black on yellow. I'll upload two snapshots...

chl

--
Dipl. math. Christoph Lampert (complex analysis, integral formulae)

Gibraltargatan 86                  |     CTH, Matematiskt centrum
rum 637                            |     Eklandagatan 86, rum 2235
41279 Goteborg                     |     41296 Goteborg
SVERIGE                            |     SVERIGE
Email: gruel at gmx.de                |     Email: lampert at math.chalmers.se