[Mplayer-users] mplayer 3/17/01 CVS snapsnot bugs

Benedict Bridgwater bennyb at ntplx.net
Sun Mar 18 00:54:08 CET 2001

Hi,
I've just downloaded and built today's CVS snapshot, and have found a
few bugs:

1) MJPG .avi support doesn't work. The codecs.c file maps the "MJPG"
FOURCC to M3JPEG32.DLL which is the Morgan Multimedia
(http://morgan-multimedia.com/) CODEC. This CODEC is not included in the
mplayer CODEC bundle, although it is included with avifile, and you can
also download it from the MM web site. Using avifile's aviplay (from
avifile 0.53-5) I can use the MM CODEC to play MJPG .avi's, but with
mplayer I get a seg. fault:

Entering DllMain(DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) for /usr/lib/win32/m3jpeg32.dll
Segmentation fault

AVI support in general is working well,
though.

2) I263/I420 .avi support doesn't work. The codecs.c file maps the
"I263" FOURCC to Intel's i263_32.drv CODEC, which actually supports both
I263 (Intel's H.263) and I420 (aka YUV12). This CODEC is included in
mplayer's CODEC bundle, however I get a seg. fault if I try to use it:

Entering DllMain(DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) for /usr/lib/win32/i263_32.drv
path c:\
path c:\
Segmentation
fault

Using avifile/aviplay 0.53-5 I can successfully use this CODEC to play
both I263 and I420 .avi files (I modified the codeckeeper.cpp file to
also map the "I420" FOURCC to the Intel CODEC).

3) The DGA video output (-vo dga) only works for MPEG files (MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2), but not for AVI's. It lets me play .avi files, but the colors
are scrambled, whereas for MPEGs the colors are fine (and the fast -vo
dga driver lets me play some large MPEGs I previously couldn't! :-).

I'm using Mandrake 7.1 (kernel 2.2.15, XFree86 3.3.6), with a Matrox
Millenium I (4MB) graphics card. I'm running X in 16bpp TrueColor mode.

4) The full-screen DGA video output (-vo fsdga) doesn't work (trying it
with MPEG's, as intended). Output is VERY slow, and I get the same types
of scrambled colors as above.

5) I've also tried adding support for Intel's iyuv9_32.dll YVU9 CODEC,
and Hauppauge's Btvvc32.drv Y41P CODEC to codecs.c, but these neither
work for mplayer or for avifile/aviplay. I could e-mail these CODECs to
anyone who might be interested in trying to get them to work. I can't
remember where I got the iyuv9_32.dll from (it's from Intel though), but
the Btvvc32.drv CODEC can be got in the latest WinTV driver from
www.hauppauge.com (Y41P is a native format supported by the Brooktree
Bt848 video capture chip, for which Hauppauge OEM's cards).

These two CODECs fail in different ways:

Entering DllMain(DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) for /usr/lib/win32/iyvu9_32.dll
Successfully loaded codec iyvu9_32.dll
ICDecompressQuery failed: Error -1

According to the error I got from trying to use this with aviplay, this
error is because the CODEC doesn't support upside down frames.

Entering DllMain(DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) for /usr/lib/win32/btvvc32.drv
path c:\
path c:\
Called DefDriverProc(2)
Successfully loaded codec btvvc32.drv
Called unk_GetWindowDC
Segmentation
fault

I don't know what this is - aviplay also gets a seg. fault after
unk_GetWindowDC.

If you need and further information or want to contact me, please reply
by e-mail, as I'm not a member of the mail list.

BTW, aside from these nit picks, mplayer is working awesomely! A/V sync
is rock solid, even playing MPEG-2'x, divx's and OpenDivX's on my aging
PII 266MHz. :-)

Thanks,

Ben Bridgwater

bennyb at ntplx.net