[Mplayer-users] [info] Quicktime library for linux

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Mar 22 01:25:59 CET 2001

Hi,

> > There is quicktime library for linu available @ http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime
> > Maybe it could be plugged into mplayer ?
I've already a .mov/.qt file parser, but it has not been merged into
the mplayer program (it's at TOOLS/movinfo.c)

(the URL above isn't an official QT-for-linux program by Apple,
it's just a simple uncompressed .mov/.qt file reader library for linux,
used for their mpeg2 encoder.)

The main problem with quicktime are the codecs. They are closed-source,
patented and non-public. And they are built-in into quicktime-for-windows
and quicktime-for mac programs, and aren't separated DLL modules like DivX.
So someone should crack/reverse engineer/disassmebly the QT-for-win program
to get their codecs to work.  I can't do it...

Btw there are some old .mov files using CVID or CRAM codec, they are
supported by AVI too, so they have VfW DLL. MPlayer will support these.
(and xanim does support these, too)

> Please read its description carefully. It's not good for playing ANY
> quicktime movies, it was designed mainly for playing files you've encoded
> with this library as well. Or something similar I can't remember ;-)
It's designed to read *UNCOMPRESSED* qt/mov files made by their video digi
card on Mac, to be encoded by their mpeg2 encoder under linux.
It's unusable to play already compressed qt/mov files.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu