[Mplayer-users] Re: DVR box - how much CPU

Dag B dag at bredband.no
Tue May 1 18:10:08 CEST 2001

[Warning:
this is offtopic for this list. But the list volume isn't that high anyway,
so I hope I can get away with a follow-up.]

re. cooling:
I am quite interested in this subject, and after scanning websites for some
time, I believe the following sites probably offers the best (measured as
performance/convenience) products. No guarantees given, YMMV.

http://www.koolance.com/
got watercooled pc cabinets "off-the-shelf". Cooling for psu, cpu, gfx, hd
and chipset. Pricing isn't crazy either.

The best performing conventional cpu-cooler with minimum noise is probably:
http://www.noise-control.de/info/silverado/info.htm
See reviews on various overclocker related websites. Make sure your cabinet
can host this cooler. It is quite high.

Finally,
http://www.quietpc.com/
delivers gear specificly targetted at noise reduction. I have a 250W psu from
quitepc. It is close to silent.

Covering the inside of your cabinet with asphalt is potenially messy, but is
gueranteed to prevent your *cabinet* to add to the overall noise, and will
also reduce the noise from some of the components inside.

>From a cooling point of view, a bigger case is better than a small one.

In general, making sure the noise isn't generated in the first place is
better than having to muffle it.

Regards,

Dag B